My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit redirectLink" href='http://hoteltuesday.wordpress.com/'> http://hoteltuesday.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.


Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cover Me

In this week's Monday Music Moment, we're going to discuss covers.

I have a love/hate relationship with covers. At first, I automatically hated a cover if I heard the original version first. I eventually learned that this was unfair when I realized that many songs that I love are actually covers (Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" for example).

Now I actually like covers and sometimes seek them out. Radio 1's Live Lounge is one of my favorite things ever!

Here are just a few of my favorite covers:
Leona Lewis covers "Run" by Snow Patrol
The Noisettes cover "When You Were Young" by The Killers
Adele covers "Make You Feel My Love" by Bob Dylan
Paramore covers "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon
John Mayer covers "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty

But anyway, what I REALLY love, are random covers by people who aren't famous!

While some of them are actually really good, I think I've uncovered THE BEST for you below!

First up, my future wife/vocal coach: TINA CHEN!!

I love Tina Chen! Except that she said she doesn't like gay people in one of her videos :(
Maybe she won't be marrying me after all.

Next up is Omar Hantash. This kid is the little brother of Rosie O'Donnell and he is even more talented than his big sister!

What a set of pipes!

And here is some dude who goes by the name "Korean Boy."

He actually has a really good range! If you liked that vid, I highly urge you to watch his other videos, including covers of "Touch My Body" and "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey.

So next time you come across an amazing cover like the ones above, please, post it in the comments section for my viewing pleasure!

6 comments:

john said...

I used to feel the same way about covers, but have to admit, I do like some of them now. Tori Amos does a really good cover of Elton John's "Daniel".

I'll refrain from comment on the videos.

Michelle M. said...

The only cover I care about is "Lady Marmalade" featuring you, Josh, Jere and the unnamed fourth.

john - Tori Amos has a holiday CD coming out.

GoKitty said...

No wonder you commented on my blog! I like to think I was your inspiration. :}

Eternal Lizdom said...

I think I am mildly traumatized by Tina Chen.

The second kid sounds like he's deaf. Seriously. Not because he can't carry a tune but because of how he forms his words. Anyone know?

And I actually like the third guy!

Anonymous said...

Third guy is Hilarious!! I love when he covers MC!! :o)

TJ

hoteltuesday said...

John: Tori and Elton are both singers who people tell me to listen to. I've heard some Elton John songs that piqued my interest. I need to listen to a full CD or something.

Michelle M.: And David! And the cover to Tori's Christmas album is FREAKY!

GoKitty: But you said on your blog that I inspired YOU ;)

Eternal Lizdom: Yeah, he has a really good range! I love his "Touch My Body" rendition.

TJ: I like her new CD!