My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit redirectLink" href='http://hoteltuesday.wordpress.com/'> http://hoteltuesday.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.


Saturday, August 07, 2010

I Want You To Meet Me Somewhere Tonight In This Old Tourist Town

Last Friday, Delisa and I went into Brooklyn for a $3 concert. We saw the band The Swell Season, whose members Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová are known as the stars in the indie movie Once.

They made most of the music for the Once soundtrack and luckily for the world, continued making music. They released their latest album Strict Joy last year (and Josh got it for me!) and it's wonderful. I love Once, love Strict Joy, and was super excited to see them.

So Delisa and I got to Prospect Park and waited in line for a little while. We got in and got pretty good seats (4th row from the barricade!)

I hadn't heard of the opening band The Low Anthem before, but I was very impressed by their set. The musicians all played multiple instruments and I loved their energy and their moody songs.

They played a pretty long set for an opening act, but I didn't mind because I really liked them. Eventually, Glen and Marketá came out!

Here's a short clip of the album's opening track, "Low Rising."



HOW GOOD DOES HE SOUND??

And here's a video of their performance of "Falling Slowly," the Grammy-winning song from Once.



They played for almost two hours and were fantastic. Glen sang with such passion. They did a bunch of songs from Strict Joy, a bunch from Once, and even a song from Glen's other band, The Frames. Several times the audience got involved and sang harmonies and it sounded fantastic. It was definitely one of the best shows I've been to.

After their set, The Swell Season did a four song encore and then invited The Low Anthem out for a final song together.

It was an amazing concert and if you don't have music from The Swell Season, go get it! And see them live.

10 comments:

Delisa said...

I think the encore with The Low Anthem is the only video I haven't uploaded, sorry. I like that picture of us though! That concert was worth way more than $3 but hope fortune of us to see it for so little!

Craig said...

Falling Slowly is sooo good! And nothing beats a $3 concert!

Mel said...

I heard The Swell Season on NPR a few months back and really liked them. I actually saw Low Anthem on NPR online and got one of their CDs. I very nearly put some of their music on your CD, too, because I thought you'd like them as much as I do. Maybe I'll have to send a supplement.

that's J-O-S-H said...

WHO ARE THOSE MILLIONS OF PEEPZ ON STAGE ON WITH THEM?!

Anonymous said...

Love the Swell Season!

dpaste said...

And then, I hear, some really nice guy let you crash at his place that night.

Tam said...

Was that the park right at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge? If so we were there Monday. :-)

Glad you had a good time and you can't beat $3.

Chris D. said...

Sounds like fun. I like Falling Slowly. It has a nice folk sensibility with dashes of theatrical flair to it. Sexy.

goblinbox said...

Sounds like a great show. I love it when the opening and main acts to encores together; it's all like superbonusyay!

goblinbox said...

Do. DO encores together.