My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit redirectLink" href='http://hoteltuesday.wordpress.com/'> http://hoteltuesday.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Glee Review: Furt

Can you believe it?! I gotta say, this week's Glee was a lot less silly than previous episodes! While not groundbreaking by any means, it was one of the more consistent episodes this season. Anyway, let's get to the review!

Most Unnecessary Song

Glee did a pretty good job this week of focusing on the story rather than including unnecessary songs. Then again, did Sue's mom need to book the auditorium for an hour just to run through her song choice? And did anyone else find it terribly awkward as Finn sang "Girl, you're amazing" to Kurt? Still, I'm gonna give this one to "Marry You" for a few reasons.
1. No one knows it.
2. It was cheesy. No one wants to walk down the aisle like that. NO ONE.
3. It was inappropriate. Did you hear the lyrics? The song is about a shotgun wedding fueled by alcohol and wanting to do something dumb.
4. Kurt's dad looks SO AWKWARD dancing down the aisle.
5. They could have used Train's "Marry Me," which fits much better.
The fact that the show featured two Bruno Mars songs this week makes me think that his record label paid them to use his songs to boost album sales or something.

Biggest Waste of Money That Should Have Been Used to Get the Kids Transportation to NYC

As the club approaches sectionals (next week!) it seems they're trying to save money! No extravagant dance numbers with amazing special effects this week! But I did have to wonder... How did they afford to get their matching costumes (tuxes for the guys, red dresses for the girls) for the wedding? They didn't charge as a favor to the newlyweds, so they didn't get the money that way... Maybe they already had them? Either way, they seem to be saving money a little bit. Good job guys!

Most Overly Dramatic Scene

Once again, the most overly dramatic scene involves the bullying storyline. Isn't this dude afraid of being outed? Does he really think it's a good idea to find Kurt in a crowded hallway and put his finger on his chest for way longer than necessary, all while staring into his eyes? Stealing the wedding cake topper was ridiculous. Why did Kurt have a wedding cake topper in his locker anyway?

Most Out-of-Character Moment

Adam Everyone agrees: Sue's wedding was the weakest plotline this week. Can I see Sue marrying herself because she knows no one will ever be as awesome as she is? Yes. But her wedding this week was pathetic.

Don't say, "But we get to see another side of Sue!" We see another side of Sue when she deals with her sister, and even in this episode, when she resigns as principal so that she can keep an eye on Kurt. That was way more touching than seeing her rotate and place a ring on each hand. If you want to 'show another side of Sue' by highlighting how she wants to be in a relationship, it can be done in a way that is consistent with her character. We can see her in her office alone, making a dating website profile. But to embarrass herself in front of everyone is so unlike Sue.

Worst Use of a Guest Star

Isn't this woman a comedic legend? Her materials was repetitious, boring, and not that funny. When they get someone like Carol Burnett on the show, they should utilize her talent. Her role as 'the mother that made Sue who she is' was easy and didn't allow her the space to really work with the character. They should have just featured Eunice. Or Mrs. Wiggins!

As I said, this week's plot-driven episode was an improvement from the rest of the season. Do you agree????

12 comments:

john said...

This episode was MUCH better than it has been. I loved Carol Burnett, but agree she was underutilized. I thought the songs fit into the story line better (placement of songs if not content).

Jere Keys said...

As usual, I disagree with all negative comments about Glee on principle.

and honestly, the big "Finn, you suck for not being in the locker room when the skinny kids stood up to the bully" scene was way more overly dramatic for no reason.

Jere Keys said...

Also, I'm assuming that you liked this episode better because they mentioned Fleetwood Mac.

Ryan said...

Jere: I think the other students believe that Finn knew that it was going down and delayed coming inside in order to not get involved.

While I think Sue's dress was awesome, I agree with you and Adam that the plotline was weak. It just made Sue look insane. I think that Sue had a strong enough role in the Kurt storyline.

Chris D. said...

Unfortunately I don't watch Glee, so I can't really comment other than to say that your analysis sounds interesting. It is good to know that Carol Burnett is still alive.

Craig said...

I agree! This was a really good episode that actually had a plot, but the bullying storyline is soooooo dramatic! Ugh! Plus, why was everyone's speech at the wedding about Kurt? Hello, he's not the one getting married!

Ryan said...

The Kurt focus of the wedding probably came from editing what the speeches would have been down to the essential part for the story, which is about the kids rather than the parents.

adam said...

I was shocked when I looked at my clock and realized that 20 minutes (or more) passed before the first song. I agree with all of your post (but especially the parts that I suggested).

Tam said...

Arrgghh. Best episode in the season and I miss it because I'm getting the crap scared out of me by a CGI snake at Harry Potter. Ah well, it will be on repeat soon.

Milo said...

I can't really read any of the post as I don't want to know what happens!

Would you believe season 2 doesn't air in the UK until JAUARY! How crap is that?? Season 1 was about 1 week behind the US bus season 2 is MONTHS behind. Totally sux.

Milo said...

Ugh, 2 typos in that last comment. =[

I guess that shows how angry I am about having to wait.

Michelle M. said...

Ugh - my comment disappeared. But I was pretty much agreeing with you anyway, loving Sue's dress and hating on Will (for upstaging the wedding couple dance with his Sway performance).